These are the most popular camping sites in Germany
Looking for a camping site for your next vacation? The current camping award offers plenty of inspiration. Reisereporter shows the 10 best campgrounds in Germany and Europe.
Read more after the announcement
Campsites in Germany are forecasting an upward trend again in 2022 after the industry was forced to accept losses again last year. In 2021, places in Germany recorded nearly 33 million overnights – 3 percent less than in 2021 and up to eight percent less than the previous record year 2019 with 35.8 million nights. This was the result of a current evaluation conducted by the camping portal “camping.info”.
However, some federal states recorded more camping vacationers than in 2020: people are especially happy to travel to Bavaria. The federal state recorded 6.1 million overnights in 2021, an increase of 8.92 percent. Schleswig-Holstein comes in second with 5.3 million – a whopping 14.29% increase over 2020. NRW (plus 4.43%) and Bremen (plus 9.98%) have also grown.
2022 will be a camping holiday year
Overall, the camping industry is expecting high growth again in 2022 – and new overnight stay records. Because: In the past year, many people have purchased a buggy or other recreational vehicle. According to “camping.info”, the stock grew by 7.6 percent. 1.5 million quality recreational vehicles are currently registered in Germany, of which 756,117 motorhomes (up 12.1 percent) and 747,234 caravans (up 3.4 percent).
The portal also chose the most popular camp sites. And here Germany leads: the most popular camping site in Europe is in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern. For the sixth time in a row, Campingpark Kühlungsborn received the most positive reviews, thus winning the “camping.info Award 2022”.
Read more after the announcement
The most famous camping site in Europe: right on the Baltic Sea
But what makes a camp site so special? Located directly on the Baltic Sea, it covers a total of twelve hectares and is mainly declared family-friendly. In addition to the different parking space categories, there is also a wellness area, playground and restaurants right on site.
clear the way
Get the super saving Deutsche Bahn ticket now and travel across Germany for €17.90!
Camps in Germany are among the best in Europe
But Campingpark Kühlungsborn isn’t the only place in Germany that has been able to impress campers. Third place went to the Baltic Sea again in 2022 – more precisely to Rosenfelder Strand Ostseecamping in Schleswig-Holstein near Grömitz. A total of six camp sites across the country are among the top 10 in Europe, and 67 are among the 100 most popular.
Top 10: Most Popular German Campsites for 2022:
- Camping Park Kuhlungsborn (Mecklenburg-Vorpommern)
- Rosenfelder Strand Ostseecamping (Schleswig-Holstein)
- Ektanen camping site (Mecklenburg-Vorpommern)
- Family Ostseecamping Heide (Schleswig-Holstein)
- Campsite in Kaltal (North Rhine-Westphalia)
- Picturesque nature family sports and nature camp Sonnensee (Lower Saxony)
- Camping on the dam – North Sea (Lower Saxony)
- Campsite Südheide (Lower Saxony)
- Strokamfuk camping (Schleswig-Holstein)
- Camping and holiday park Falkensteinsee (Lower Saxony)
These are the most famous camps in Europe
- Camping Park Kuehlungsborn (Germany)
- Camping Grubhof (Austria)
- Rosenfelder Strand Ostseecamping (Germany)
- Camping Hüttenberg (Switzerland)
- Camp Mond – Sealand (Austria)
- Camping site Iktanen (Germany)
- Camping Murinsel (Austria)
- Ostseecamping Familie Heide (Germany)
- Campsite Calletal (Germany)
- Naturist Family Sport and Naturcamp Sonnensee (Germany)
Over 228,000 reviews from more than 150,000 camping vacationers from all over Europe took the prize. It’s already the eleventh award ceremony. It is considered one of the most important awards in the camping sector.