What and how many public holidays in Bavaria in 2022 and 2023? When is the next vacation? Here we provide a full overview – also of other special dates.
In 2022 and 2023, Bavaria will once again have more public holidays than any other federal state. Here you will find a complete overview so that you will always be notified when the next public holiday is.
You can also get more information here: How many public holidays are there in Bavaria? And when are other special dates like Father’s Day or Repair Day?
How many public holidays are in Bavaria?
Bavaria has more public holidays than any other federal state: there are 13. Augsburg has another public holiday with the Peace Festival: only there people have a day off for the Peace Festival on August 8th.
Bavaria has nine public holidays. There is also Epiphany on January 6, Corpus Christi on June 3, Opening Feast on August 15, All Saints Day on November 1 and the Augsburg Peace Festival on August 8. Here is an overview:
Incidentally, the inauguration of Mary is a special case among Bavaria’s public holidays: only communities with a Catholic majority are free – that is, neither work nor school. On the other hand, there are no public holidays in Bavaria, for example Reformation Day or Liberation Day on May 8th.
When is the next public holiday in Bavaria?
The next public holiday in Bavaria is Ascension Day 2022 on May 26.
Read also about this
Holidays in Bavaria 2022
- New Year’s Day: 01.01.2022 (Saturday)
- Epiphany: 06.01.2022 (Thursday)
- Good Friday: 04/15/2020 (Friday)
- Easter – Easter Monday, 04/18/2022 (Mon)
- May 1 – Labor Day: 05/01/2022 (Sunday)
- Ascension Day: 05/26/2022 (Thursday)
- Pentecost – Pentecost: 06.06.2022 (Monday)
- Corpus Christi: 06/16/2022 (Thursday)
- Peace Festival (Augsburg only): 08/08/2022 (Monday)
- Assumption Day (not everywhere): 08/15/2022 (Mon)
- German Unity Day: 03.10.2022 (Mon)
- Halloween: 01.11.2022 (Tuesday)
- Christmas Day: December 25, 2022 (Sunday)
- Boxing Day: December 26, 2022 (Monday)
Holidays in Bavaria 2023
- New Year’s Day: 01.01.2023 (Sunday)
- Epiphany: 06.01.2023 (Friday)
- Good Friday: 07.04.2023 (Friday)
- Easter – Easter Sunday: Monday 04/10/2023 (Monday)
- May 1 – Labor Day: 05/01/2023 (Monday)
- Ascension Day: May 18, 2023 (Thursday)
- Pentecost – Pentecost Monday: May 29, 2023 (Monday)
- Corpus Christi: 06.06.2023 (Thursday)
- Peace Festival (Augsburg only): 08/08/2023 (Tuesday)
- Opening Day: 08/15/2023 (Tuesday)
- German Unity Day: 03.10.2023 (Tuesday)
- Halloween: 11/01/2022, 11/01/2023 (Wednesday)
- Christmas Day: December 25, 2023 (Monday)
- Boxing Day: December 26, 2023 (Tuesday)
Other special dates
- Valentine’s Day: 02/14/2022, 02/14/2023
- Women’s Carnival: February 24, 2022 and February 16, 2023
- Shrouf Monday: 02/28/2022, 2020/02/20
- Ash Wednesday: 02/03/2022, 02/22/2023
- Beginning of spring (meteorology): 03/01/2022, 03/01/2023
- International Women’s Day: 08/03/2022, 08/03/2023
- St. Patrick’s Day: 03/17/2022, 03/17/2023
- Saint Joseph’s Day: 03/19/2022, 03/19/2023
- Beginning of spring (calendar): 3/20/2020, 2020/03/20
- Daylight saving time change: 03/27/2022, 03/26/2023
- Palm Sunday: 4/10/2022, 4/2/2023
- Maundy Thursday: 04/14/2020, 06/04/2023
- Walpurgis Night: 04/30/2022, 04/30/2023
- Liberation Day: 05/08/2022, 05/08/2023
- Mother’s Day: 05/08/2022, 05/14/2023
- Snow Saints: from 05/11/2022 from 05/11/2023
- Father’s Day: 05/26/2022, 05/18/2023
- Beginning of summer (meteorology): 06/01/2022, 06/01/2023
- Corpus Christi: 06/16/2022, 06/08/2023
- Beginning of summer (calendar) / summer solstice: 06/21/2022, 06/21/2023
- Feast of Saint John: 06/23/2022, 06/23/2023
- Doomsday: 06/27/2022, 06/27/2023
- Peter and Paul: 06/29/2022, 06/29/2023
- Assumption: 08/15/2022, 08/15/2023
- Beginning of Autumn (Meteorology): 09/01/2022, 09/01/2023
- International Children’s Day: 09/20/2022, 09/20/2023
- Beginning of Autumn (calendar): 09/23/2022, 09/23/2023
- Thanksgiving Day: 10/02/2022, 10/01/2023
- Time change to winter time: October 30, 2022, October 29, 2023
- Halloween: 10/31/2022, 10/31/2023
- Fix Day: 10/31/2022, 10/31/2023
- All Souls Day: February 11, 2022, February 11, 2023
- Carnival start: 11/11/2022, 11/11/2023
- Martin’s Day: 11/11/2022, 11/11/2023
- National Day of Mourning: 11/13/2022, 19/11/2023
- Day of Repentance and Prayer: November 16, 2022, November 22, 2023
- Sun of the Dead: 11/20/2022, 26/11/2023
- First Coming: 27.11.22, 03.12.2023
- Beginning of winter (meteorology): 01.12.2022, 01.12.2023
- Barbara’s Day: 04.12.2022, 04.12.2023
- Time of the Second Coming: 04.12.2022, 10.12.2023
- Nicholas Day: 06.12.2022, 06.12.2023
- Time of the Third Coming: 11.12.2022, 17.12.2023
- Fourth Coming: 12/18/2022, 24/12/2023
- Beginning of winter (calendar) – winter solstice: 12/21/2022, 12/22/2023
- Christmas Eve: 12/24/2022, 12/24/2023
- Hard Nights: From December 25, 2022 From December 25, 2023
- New Year’s Eve: 12/31/2022, 12/31/2023
Bavaria public holidays with Epiphany, Assumption Day, and All Saints’ Day
In Bavaria, people spend four invalid public holidays in all federal states – in Augsburg up to five of them. Here we briefly present these days.
Three holy kings
The name is obvious: this Christian holiday goes back to the sages from the east who, according to the Bible, followed the star of Bethlehem to the baby Jesus. By the way, the names Caspar, Melchior and Balthazar of the three kings appeared only since the 6th century. In the Catholic Church, Epiphany is celebrated on January 6 as “Epiphany”, which means “the Appearance of the Lord.”
Corpus Christi is celebrated on the second Thursday after Pentecost. The earliest possible date is May 21, and the latest date is June 24. The feast refers to the last supper of Jesus and his disciples. There Jesus shared bread with the words “This is my body.”
Only in Augsburg is August 8 a public holiday. The Hohe Friedensfest dates back to the Peace of Westphalia of 1648, which ended the suppression of Protestants. It is now a festival for all religions and citizens, and has events in the city.
Opening day is also a public holiday in Bavaria. On this day, Catholics commemorate the Assumption of Mary into Heaven. However, the holiday applies only to communities with a Catholic majority. This means that not everyone in Bavaria has the August 15 holiday.
Halloween is free of work and schools throughout Bavaria. On November 1, all saints of the Catholic Church are honored. This holiday is valid only in a very few federal states in Germany.
Silent Holidays 2022 in Bavaria: When does the dance ban take effect?
Bavaria has some “quiet days” when festivities and concerts are forbidden. According to the law, events are allowed only if they are of a serious nature. On most “quiet days,” the dance ban begins at 2 a.m., on Good Friday and Holy Saturday at midnight, and on Christmas Eve at 2 p.m.
These are the quiet days in Bavaria: Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Holy Saturday, All Saints’ Day, National Day of Mourning, Sunday of the Dead, Day of Penance and Prayer and Christmas Eve